Wednesday, November 16, 2011

The Race within The Race

My brother has been working in Iraq for some time now but just last Friday found out that he got a job at the Space Center here in town. We haven't lived in the same town since I moved out of the parental's place nearly ten years ago...so this is pretty exciting news. With that being said, he picked up and moved here yesterday. Since he is staying with us for awhile, I got him out and running with me this morning.

With just over a week left until the Suntree Turkey Trot 10K and more importantly the race within the race, The Annual Swenson 10K Super Run World Cup; rumors have been stirred up as to who is slated to win this thing. Everyone seems to agree that the little brother is a clear leader, but after this morning's run, my spirits are lifted.  The run started out great; we were both running about an 8 minute mile for the first half mile (I was showing off a bit, because this is just a little faster than I can sustain).  About the half mile mark, I clearly slowed down and he continued to run ahead.  I'm pretty comfortable with being behind since I have adopted the policy that I am my only competitor.  Reese was kind enough at the two mile marker to wait the roughly two minutes I was behind him, or at least I thought. I turned around and he picked back up with the pace, except we were now keeping the same pace.  He mentioned at the 2.5 mile point that he was out of shape, but I was assuming he was pulling my leg.  But then as we approached the 3 mile point, running came to a halt for him and I decided to walk the last mile back home with him.  Nothing like a little sibling rivalry, but it felt good that I might not be completely out of the race.

The grand prize for taking first place in the Annual Swenson 10K Super Run World Cup; a shiny cup that holds 6 beers.  And yes, you do have to consume a portion of that after the race.  More importantly though, beating Reese, the creator of this prestigious race would mean bragging rights until next year.  Let's hope for the perfect conditions, and the will power to push through when he slows down.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Surprise, Surprise! (IMNC Part 1)

This time last year, I was devastated. I literally felt like my world ended. I don't recall ever feeling such shame in my life. I went f...