Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Okay...so I PR'd.

I've been told from a several people that I should be happy with my new PR at the half marathon, but I'm not.  It isn't the time that is bothering me, cause I can't complain about a 12 minute PR, but my performance was sub-par.

The night before the race, I was pumped but still relaxed so I felt good about what was to come.  I set out my morning nutrition and gathered my running necessities to ensure that I wouldn't leave anything behind, set my alarm for 4:30 am, checked my goals and settled in for the evening. Then...a party broke out next door and it sounded like it was actually taking place in my room.  I am not one to complain, especially on a Saturday night. And considering the neighbor has like 40 years (seriously) on me, I didn't want to be an old lady; so I just sat there, twiddling my thumbs and watched the minutes turn to hours and pass by.  The noise died down around 3:45 am, so I got about 45 minutes of sleep in.  I'm already a cranky person in the morning, but tired and cranky is not a fun side of me. None the less, got dressed and headed south.

Showed up in time to get some good stretching in and some extra fluids before the race.  At 5:30 in the morning it was already 72 degrees, so I knew it was going to be a warm run. Testing the waters a bit, I lined up in the estimated 2 hour finish area and waiting for the start.

And the race was on! Getting started on this race was by far easier than the previous race; people weren't crowded in, they weren't in a rush to get to the front of the line and there was plenty of road space. I quickly identified others that were that were intending a 2 hour finish in order to help with pacing and maybe make a friend if things got tough. I knew that I would slow down a bit after the the half way point, so my goal was to average 9:05 for the first 6 miles, then do a 9:35 for the 7 mile that took us over the bridge.  When I got down the down the bridge and saw the beep for the 7 mile, I was surprised to see that I was actually a few seconds ahead of the time frame I wanted to be in.  Great...then mile 8 happened and I started feeling a little, well just - done.

I quickly became aware that my body had decided to hate me for the lack of sleep (or I'm assuming that was the issue since I had put in several miles leading up to this point). My body slowed and my frustrations grew.  I was pushing so hard and my legs just weren't moving. I glanced down at my watch several times to make sure it didn't just jump to a plus 10 minute mile pace (those watches can be tricky) for a quick second or two.  But after multiple glances, I knew I just wasn't moving any faster.  Although frustration can get the best of me, I tried to focus on a goal that I always have in mind - just keep running.  Even if it was slow; shuffling my feet in an attempt to run was better in my mind than walking.  I also got out my gummies a little early thinking some nutrition would help.  Still, mile 9, 10 and 11 passed by with no positive change.  As I rounded the corner of mile 11 and stared up at the final bridge before me, I almost burst into tears.  I didn't have the gusto for the last 5K that I wanted and I still had to do another uphill. It was a grueling uphill battle to get to the 12 mile marker, but I was grateful to be at the top, heading downhill and gaining on the finish line.

I found enough energy to push a little harder for the finish line.  It was the best of the last 5 miles but definitely not the finish I wanted. I immediately decided to throw myself a pity party but sucked up a smile for the finisher picture (I get a double chin when I frown, didn't need that captured for life). It was great having my cheerleaders, Josh and Mike, at the finish but the party continued. From my half marathon last month, this finish was 11 minutes and 58 seconds faster - which I am great with, but must work on consistency and gusto for the next run. I'm done pouting about this and focusing on training for the next half marathon, which is just 4 weeks away.

Sub 2 hour run...eventually we will meet.

2 comments:

Surprise, Surprise! (IMNC Part 1)

This time last year, I was devastated. I literally felt like my world ended. I don't recall ever feeling such shame in my life. I went f...