Thursday, July 16, 2015

Indiatlantic Triathlon

I had so much fun at Pinappleman Triathlon that I last minute registered for Indiatlantic Triathlon just three weeks later. And of course, I convinced Tammy to join me.

One of my favorite things about this race is the number of people that participate. It truly is your local, small town race. Maxing out at 300 people, you get plenty of space and time to set up your transition. Not to mention you get to practically park at the start/finish line for ease of unloading the car. This is also the race that is my fastest sprint time. So once I got set up, I was ready to race!

Recently, sharks have been all over the news. Shark spotting, sharks washing up on shore, and more importantly shark attacks. Including several on the Florida coast. Although I do most of my races in Florida, most of the swims are either in lakes or in the inter coastal (although it is the Ocean, it seems less scary since there is land on both sides). As I was standing on shore, I just kept saying, 'swim fast and the sharks won't get you.' In hindsight, that probably wasn't the best thing that I could have done. Sharks were on my mind and I was not in a good spot. About a third of the way I encountered a jelly fish. And you would have thought I was getting attacked by a shark. With the wrong mind set and the sudden sting, I freaked out. I ended up having to swim to a kayak, hold on, and cry it out. And by cry it out, I mean hysterically bawled my eyes out, while the volunteer didn't know what to do, other than continuously ask me if I want to quit. Well, no, I'm not quitting, I just needed to focus and get my act together. After taking forever to finish the rest of the swim, I got my head in the right place and was able to focus on another strong bike.

The bike goes over two Florida hills or causeways as non-Floridians call them. And since I was training in DC for the last couple of months, I was actually pretty ready to tackle them on. About 2 miles in to the course I hit my first one and raced up it. I passed some people and that gave me the boost I needed to push hard for a strong bike.

On to the run, I was on a mission. I know had a horribly slow swim, a solid bike, and was on to my bet with Tammy. I can never beat her overall but I'd been doing a lot of running (and she was still recovering from her back surgery), so we made a bet on the run - whoever ran the fastest was to be served a post race beer. And although the beer was free, bragging rights were on the line. Again, I figured that I would either run hard till I passed out or till I crossed that finish line. So I ran, I ran hard, and I finished before I passed out.

Seeing the results at the finish was a little heartbreaking for me. Yes! I beat Tammy on the run. But I took 4th in my age group. And I was only off by less than a minute. I was second fastest in T1, T2, and the run; and 3rd on the bike. But last on the swim. So after taking a second to pout, I realized the big races of the year had yet to come. So I drank my glorious, bragging rights beer and cheered on Tammy's podium finish.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Surprise, Surprise! (IMNC Part 1)

This time last year, I was devastated. I literally felt like my world ended. I don't recall ever feeling such shame in my life. I went f...